Thursday, December 10, 2009

Third of a Series: Running Rules to Live By - Black Toenails Are Badges of Honor

Based loosely on a book by Mark Remy called The Runner's Rule Book as well as a Runner's World article from the January 2010 issue over the next week or so I will be posting a few running rules to live by.

I hope you enjoy the series.

Rule Three: Black Toenails Are Badges of Honor



Yep, that is the nail on my right big toe. Ugly and probably due to a time when I froze my nail on a cold February day many moons ago and now fungus has set in.

Run long enough and you'll wind up ruining a nail or two. Whether it's because your shoes are too big or too small or because you've run a race with punishing downhills or the toes gods happen to be in a foul mood, somebody you will peel off your socks and see black where once there was pink. Congratulations! These bruised nails are tiny trophies conferred upon you for toughing it out. just don't flash them in the public.

No comments: