Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Road ID

Over 20-years ago as I was training on my bike in Texas I was hit by a pick-up truck that was making a left turn as I passed through an intersection. I was knocked out for a few ticks of the clock. I lost my four front upper teeth and much of my upper gum tissue...which also left an indent on my handlebars so hard was the impact. My face and legs were cut-up pretty bad from the impact with the road.

I had nightmares for weeks. To this day, I still jump if a car comes up from behind me and honks its horn...friendly or not.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I had remained unconscious. I had just moved to the Bryan-College Station area. I knew hardly anyone and lived alone. Luckily, I had a high-school friend in the area that I was able to call and pick me up from the hospital after they had checked me out.

But what if I had been knocked for a real loop...with no ID and no way to contact anyone?

I just ordered a Road ID wrist bracelet as seen below. I had been meaning to do this for years. Watching the Tour this week, the lads on Versus were promoting them which prompted me to order one.



I suggest you do the same if you haven't already. Yeah, it makes you feel a bit like a old-fuddy-duddy..."Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!". But you never know when something like my Texas story will occur. Be safe, not sorry. And I'm going to make it easy for you and save you a buck.

When I ordered, they gave me a coupon that I could pass along to my friends. Here's the coupon number:

Coupon Number: ThanksBrian506936

The coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order placed by 08/07/2009. To order, simply go to RoadID.com. This coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order. It can be used up to 20 times in the next 30 days.

1 comment:

cdnhollywood said...

I've got one of those somewhere....