Thursday, April 23, 2009

Congrats to Buckwheat

Congrats to former Texas training partner Tim "Buckwheat" Carroll on his success in the IRP Striders Duathlon Long Course held 4/19 in San Angelo, TX. This du was a 5-mile run/45-mile bike/5-mile run.

As Tim wrote in an e-mail to me this week:

You missed a golden opportunity to score hardware. There were only 26 entries less than half of what usually enters, so nearly everybody placed. I was the only one in my age group, I did a good job of kicking my ass and taking name. It was hilly as expected, but the wind was atypical out of the NNW at 15-20 mph that made for a head and cross wind all the way to finish. The wind is usually out of the south so you get some tailwind to the finish but this time. You'll notice my run splits suck I stopped at all the water stations to stay hydrated the humidity wasn't quite negative like it is in AZ but close. I think it was around 25% and was sucking me dry like a sponge. I'm used to like 80 - 90% humidity. No big names at this years race either, last year Micheal Lovatto and Todd Gerlach were there. All in all I had fun and that's what really counts.

I hope the weather up there gives you a break on Sun. for your race. Nothing worse than racing in crappie conditions. I wish you good luck in your endeavor and may the race gods be with you.


Like I told Buckwheat, his run splits did not 'suck' and that was a very hefty du to tie on so early in the season. That's the third friend I had contact me this week about having 'poor performances' and 'disappointing times' in recent events. It's as thought everyone wants to be primed and ready for an A-Race every time out now. That will lead to unhappiness and then to burnout and then, WHAM!, you'll drop out of the sport for 15-years like someone I know very well....me!

Like Tim said at the end "All in all I had fun and that's what really counts." You're darn tootin'! Participate and enjoy the times you have training and racing. Set only a few reachable goals at first and work into setting the bar a bit higher. Know that you will have set-backs. But just have fun!

Speaking of fun, I had to ask Tim about a upcoming du in Texas in November. Here's what caught my eye...the Bronda's Run/Bike Du. Promoted as the fastest venue in Texas, this du is set at...get this...the Texas Motor Speedway. It is a 2 mile run-15 mile bike-2 mile run course and it is flat and fast. Man, that would be a great way to end the year. The run course actually takes place on the speedway infield and the bike course circles the speedway. This is one I have to do some serious thinking about traveling down to my old stomping grounds!

No comments: