Thursday, February 26, 2009

Super Soaker

When we remodeled our home almost six years ago, I made sure we went Full Monty on the bathroom and installed an air-jet whirlpool tub. I wanted a place of refuge where I could soak away tired muscles.

So it was installed and I expected to be taking long, soaking baths multiple times each week. But, as usual, I continued to find it quicker to take a shower. The bath, complete with mood lights built in, was resigned to be an Army-Navy battlefield for a 8-year old boy.

Now that I'm back into the fill circuit of triathlons and the daily grind of work-outs, I am making time for super soaks. Soaking baths are great on their own, but dosed with a healthy scoop of Epsom salts, they become healing as well.

Epsom salts help draw toxins from the body. They are rich in magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is a common contributing factor in depression and anxiety, and studies show that the high concentrations of magnesium sulfate in Epsom salts are easily absorbed into the bloodstream during a long bath. There's hardly a better remedy for the tired, achy blues.

Epsom salts also make a great all-purpose anti-inflammatory soak for sprains and overexerted muscles. And they are readily available and very much affordable. Walgreen's new Apothecary house brand is available now. These retail for about $3 for a three-pound carton.



Walgreens Epsom salt



For the ladies, there is also a lavender infused product.

I simply dissolve two cups of Epsom salt in my warm (or cold) bath water, settle in and experience the relief. Give it a try. Let me know how it went!

No comments: