Monday, January 5, 2009

Introducing the Intercostal Muscle

After months of rehab to strengthen my Achilles and calves and finally get back to where I actually work out without thinking about pain in those areas comes a new one. I was swimming on 12/26 and felt a little twinge on my right lower back around the bottom two ribs. I kept swimming but could feel it tighten up so I cut it short. Went home and felt OK so I ran and biked. Later that night my back was so bad it literally brought me to me knees in pain.

Jump forward a few days post meeting with my sports therapist and the conclusion is I strained my intercostal muscle. Intercostal strains defined as
intercostal muscles allow the ribcage to move up and down. These muscles can be strained by any activity that involves extreme or forceful twisting of the body or swinging of the arms. Sports that commonly cause this type of injury include golf and tennis. Other than rest and pain meds, it's easy to treat the intercostals. Run your opposite hand finger tip between your ribs. Press in deeply and feel for a painful point that may even feel like a bump under your finger tip. If you find one (or more) just press and hold for 60 seconds, then continue holding while you take in a long, slow, breath. Then look for more points.


Of course, it got better after one week so I rushed back to the pool and wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, I did 'er again. Idiot!

General thought from my therapist is I'm looking at 2-6 weeks to recover. Getting both laser and massage treatment and I'm to hold from swimming for minimum of 2-weeks before reassessing. Just when I was really starting to crank in the pool.

Anyone else have this muscle group cause issues before? How long did it take to work through it? For me, I can still run and bike, just can't swim or do my core workouts. Bugger it all.

"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something."
Roseanne Roseannadanna

No comments: