Saturday, August 17, 2013

Race Result: 2013 Wayzata Alumni Cross Country Race

Event: Wayzata Alumni Cross Country Race
Date: Saturday, August 17, 2013
Location: Wayzata High School
Hotel: Home, sweet home
Weather: 66F, wind at 7 MPH from the south
Official Results: Overall Results

Previous Results: First time at this event

Personal Result

Goal: Speed Workout
Official Result: 13:39 (6:49 per mile pace)
Overall: 77th (182 total)

Podium Boy Result

Last Year: 14:35 (107th out of 200)
Goal: Under 13:30
Official Result: 13:34 (6:47 per mile pace)
Overall: 72nd (182 total)

Garmin

Direct Garmin Results Link


Splits

Elevation

Summary

I made a big jump this past week. From 1984-1997 I worked retail pharmacy. If you count the years I spent working retail as a pharmacy intern whilst in college at North Dakota State University, I had spent 17 years in this particular chapter of my life.

In 1997, I started writing a new chapter when I landed a job with a pharmacy benefit management company. For the next 17 years, I applied my trade in an environment where I no longer needed to work nights, weekends, and holidays like I had while in retail. During this time, Podium Boy was born (April 2000) and I also started working from home part-time, and then finally was full-time from home for the last three years. This was greatly advantageous as any parent with a youngin' can attest to.

This past Friday was my last day with this company. The time had come for me to close that chapter and write the next one. One that hopefully take me through to retirement. And more importantly, leave a legacy, be more rewarding, and be much less stressful than the past employment.

I embark on this period of unemployment with a blank piece of paper, with no idea what career I might attempt to pursue. But to start with, I'm actually going to be a volunteer coach for the Wayzata Middle School cross country team. And first up was the annual Alumni race, pitting the current 7-12 grade class versus the past alumni, or parent of a current runner. Somehow, the alumni always manage to win. It was no different today.

Start of the Alumni Race

I ran this race with the sole purpose of being a rabbit and pace setter for Podium Boy. We planned to go out at about 6:30 or better pace and then hold it as best we could. There are two fairly significant, albeit short, climbs that really sap the legs.

I'm in the white cap, Podium Boy in blue shirt
We went through the first mile in 6:28 and I was really happy with our position and with how Podium Boy was responding to several mini-surges. Much of the course was on a single-track wood chip trail and often we'd have to surge past slower runners when the opportunity presented itself as the trail was lined by trees on either side.

The wood chip trail was nice on the old bones


Just a little over one mile in
We came to the last hill with about one-half mile to go. I was started to struggle and Podium Boy was laboring on the hill. However, upon cresting I told him to go if he had gas left and he went. This was very pleasing that he was able to pick up the pace after a climb this early in the season.

He opened up around 10-yards on me and maintained that going into the finish.

Podium Boy zooms for the finish line


Podium Boy beats me fair & square
It was a great day to be running cross country as the weather was ideal. And it was a great way to begin my new chapter in the book of life.

Next Race

August 25 - Minneapolis Duathlon

On Deck

September 14 - Park Tool "Fall Classic" Duathlon
September 21 - Trees and Trails 5K

No comments: