Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Stress Fracture Update Part Three

Good news! The pelvic stress fracture was NOT due to osteoporosis. I had a bone density scan conducted on April 12. The results showed me in normal range. So now I have 100% confirmation that the fracture was simply due to overuse/over-training. Lesson learned. Time to move forward.

First, let's discuss bone density. What is a "bone mineral density" (BMD) scan?

Bone mineral density (BMD) testing generally correlates with bone strength and is used to diagnose osteoporosis. The BMD is measured with a dual energy x-ray absorptiometry test (referred to as a DXA scan). By measuring BMD, it is possible to predict fracture risk in the same manner that measuring blood pressure can help predict the risk of stroke.

The scan itself was super easy and took less then 10-minutes. Two scans were done. One of my lower five vertebrae and one of my left hip. Totally painless procedure.

Normal Range: a T-score of +1.0 to -1.0
Osteopenia: a T-score of -1.0 to -2.5
Osteporosis: a T-score of -2.5 or lower
While I don't have my actual score, my doctor left a message to indicate I was 'normal'. Fantastic news. Now I just have to work my way back. I have begun to swim and bike this week. I am going to wait on running for at least another week. All very low intensity and low volume. In talking to people with stress fractures the worst thing one can do is to start training too early and suffer a set-back. So I will be playing it smart.
 
At the same time, I am really chomping at the bit to get back. Especially since my first par score of year was posted last week! With a 87.07661 from the Frost 'yer Fanny Du from Jan I'm currently 14th in the country in 50-54AG for du's. Hopefully I can get into shape and have a good second half of the season and get another good par score in one more du and see how I land nationally for the year.
 
Hope everyone is having fantastic spring workouts and your first event is planned and circled on the calendar. If you see me out running, biking or at the pool give me a friendly wave and some encouragement.

No comments: