Monday, April 18, 2011

Potpourri Cornucopia

It has been just a mere eight days since our return from a fabulous London trip. This was my ninth trip there, the eighth as husband-wife and second with the Boy® in tow. And this might have been the best Brit Trip yet. Here are a few select photos (click on thumbnail for larger view):

Beautiful gardens and estate of Hever Castle

At Stonehenge. A trip everyone should make.

Visiting Carephilly Castle in south Wales

At Kew Gardens

On the London Eye


Football with the Boy® at St. James Park.
The stress fracture didn't bother me much during the tons of walking while there. It did bother me during the football (OK, soccer) match with the Boy. So I know there is still some healing that needs to take place.

This has not held me back from swimming and biking, however. So after six weeks of no activity, I have returned to those two disciplines. I'm slow, no doubt. But the confidence is slowly returning. I estimate at least another seven to fourteen days before I even attempt running. So any time between May 1-15, I hope to be back hitting the running trails.

What this means in terms of events is TDB. Out for sure is the planned Arkansas Double Weekend (tri on Sat; du on Sunday) to celebrate the 50th birthday. The race director did let me know that he is doing the same concept again on June 11-12. Perhaps I can target that to participate in as I certainly would not be in compete mode by then.

Some of the other early season events and my chance of attending:

May 14 - Lakes to Pines Triathlon; Park Rapids, MN 500 yard swim, 14.7mi bike, 5K run

I rate my chances at 20%. The race director & I exchanged emails this past weekend since I have yet to sign up. I've done this great event every year since inception so they were wondering where I was. Even though registration closes on 5/9, the race director said I could show up the day of the race and he would still get me in. How nice is that? And I might have to show up so I can talk with least years winner, Mike Fretland of Bismarck, about his great 3:11 showing in the Boston Marathon.


May 28 (signed up) - Apple Duathlon; Sartell, MN (USAT) - 5k run, 33k bike, 5k run

Again, I rate my chances at 20%. Of course, it all depends on if I can run or not. I was really tagging this one as one of my key USAT du's for the year. Now it would simply be to get in a good workout as I continue to recover. I would certainly not be running with the Big Boys of the 50-54 AG.

Jun 5 (signed up) - Pigman Sprint Triathlon; Cedar Rapids, IA (USAT) - Swim .5K, Bike 25K, Run 5K

I rate my chances at 30% here as I should be running by then. This one would also fall into the participating rather than competing category, however. And it would give me a chance to connect with my Iowa tri-geek friends.

The Time Trial bike will be back in Minnesota any week now. It has been down in Texas since last November when I sent her down to live with my friend, Tim "Buckwheat" Carroll as I raced in Fort Worth to end the season last year and then opened up the 2011 season outside of Houston. The plan had been to meet up in Arkansas at the end of April and I would just take her back with me, but best laid plans and all that. Thanks stress fracture! It will be good to have the speed bike back in the corral so I can take that out and start to get in some harder speed workouts. That is, if spring ever comes!

Here is a handy discount if you have been thinking about ordering one of the Revenge Series fuel belts from FuelBelt. Use code USAT when placing your order and you will receive a 15% discount. I ordered a custom fit 2-bottle model this past week. Why? Even though I'm not sure when I can start to run & compete again, I'm in need of a carrot at the end of the stick to stay motivated. To that end I am thinking of:
  • Entering the Virgin Marathon (London) lottery on April 26 (my birthday) to see if I can be lucky enough to grab a spot in the 2012 London marathon. I said I would never run another marathon again, but that was back in 1989 and the body has just now forgotten how painful it can be.
  • A half IM. Not sure when, this year is probably out. But enter into a half-IM and see how I can do. Could I go under five hours? I think with the right training, I could. Won't know until I try. Realistically, we're probably talking 2012 here.
Finally, I leave you with two key photos. If you know the importance and relevance....leave a comment. Especially if you are a fellow supporter!






1 comment:

Mario said...

Looks wonderful across the pond! Olympics should be quite the event.