Saturday, September 21, 2013

Race Result: 2013 Trees and Trails 5K

Event: Trees and Trails 5K
Date: Saturday, September 21, 2013
Location: Wildwood Park, Mahtomedi MN
Hotel: Home, sweet home
Weather: 50F, wind at 4 MPH from the W
Official Results: Overall Text Summary
Previous Results: First time at this event

Personal Results

Goal: Sub 19:50
Official Result: 20:14 (6:31 per mile pace)
Overall: 1st (72 total); 1st in 50-59 AG (12 total)

Garmin

Direct Garmin Summary Link


Splits

Elevation and HR


Summary

This was a little race put on by FrontRunner that I had signed up for over New Year's during which time FrontRunner had their races at a special 1/2 price cost. Which is really nice from a cost perspective, but hard to plan for if you find yourself injured, sick, etc., since some of the races would be 7-11 months out.

The first part of the race took place on a paved bike/walking trail. I jumped out to a quick pace and found myself leading. The course went slightly uphill for about 3/4's of a mile at which point there was a Y in the path. I spied white arrows indicating I should turn right and started to, but the runner behind me indicated that was wrong so we went left. Then others behind us started yelling that was wrong.

That meant about five people had passed me and had opened up about a 40-yard lead. I had to bear down for a bit to regain contact with the leaders and then surged to try and open up a bit of a gap.

Later on, I again had the dilemma of which way to turn and initially turned wrong, but quickly corrected myself. In the end, it meant I ran a bit longer and my time/pace reflects that.

We hit actual dirt trail with about a mile to go which provided rolling hills. I have been suffering from a sinus infection and my breathing was turning bad, and I felt I was going to hurl given all the nasal mucous which seemed to suddenly fill up my stomach. A couple of quick peeks over the shoulder showed I had about 40 to 50 yards on second position. So I couldn't give up. But the last mile was sufferable, given my poor fitness and health.

In the end, I was able to hold on for the overall victory. Bit of a laughable winning time for a 5K. However, I was pleased with my pacing for the first two miles, with the second mile split actually being faster than the opening mile.

Next Race

October 19 - Run For the Apples 5-Miler, White Bear Lake MN. Will be at the Olympic Training Center with Podium Boy
October 26 - Trick or Treat 5K, Fargo ND


On Deck

November 16 - Turkey Trot 5 Mile, Fargo ND

No comments: