Thursday, May 9, 2013

Race Result: 2013 Jump To It 10K


Event: Jump To It 10K
Date: Saturday, May 4, 2013
Location: White Bear Lake MN
Hotel: Home, sweet home
Weather: 35F, light rain, moderate winds at 8-10 MPH from NNE, overcast & crappy
Official Results: Overall and Age Group
Previous Results: First time at this event

Personal Results

Goal: Speed Workout
Official Result: 40:16 (6:29 per mile pace)
Note: Course was short (5.93) miles. Actual result would have been 42:11 (6:47/mi)
Overall: 7th (92 total); 1st in 50-59 AG (8 total)

Garmin

Garmin Link

Acceptable thru mile 2, then my lack of fitness showed

Way too many hills on this course!

Summary


Another crappy spring event, weather wise. FrontRunner does a great job to make one feel welcome and make these smaller venues feel like family. So, nothing against them. They can't control the weather!

For those not familiar with the blog and my past, last year I suffered a left tibial stress fracture while running a 10K on the cobblestones of London. It wiped out my 2012 racing season. That tibia is healed. Now this spring, my right tibia is acting up. I'm defining this as a stress reaction. Perhaps some severe tendinitis. At any rate, it has kept my workout mileage low. In the 15-20 miles per week average. I can only hope that once the weather finally turns for the better I can bump that to the 30-mile-per-week average.

The week leading up to this event started out well, with two very solid days of biking and running. I somehow managed a short run on Weds before the Real Job intervened and I was unable to manage any additional workouts. It showed as my first two mile splits were acceptable before falling away drastically. Like at the Cemstone 10K two weeks prior, I was gassed by mile 4 with a 7+ mile split for mile 5. The previous weekend at the Falls Duathlon, I had gone sub-6 for the first mile and had a nice 2 mile opening run. So, the speed is there. The fitness is not.

This was the fourth event in FrontRunner's 2013 Great White Bear Grand Prix. My goal is to compete in 7 of the ten events, which will give me the maximum events for scoring. I hope to win the 50-59 AG and finish top 10 overall in males.

Awards

As usual, huge medals and a nice T-shirt. I now have enough race T-shirts (cotton variety) to make a king-sized quilt from my racing events.



Next Race

May 11 - Central Lakes Duathlon in Fergus Falls MN. I wanted to try this one last year, but got injured. So it is on the calendar for this year. A very unique duathlon concept. Not a run-bike-run but a bike (20 miles)-run (4 miles)-bike (7 miles). Should be fun, as long as the weather is good.

On Deck

May 18 - The Great Prairie Sports Pentathlon in River Falls, WI. Podium Boy's first Modern Pentathlon event. Should prove interesting. Then in July he is off to Colorado Springs to train with the USA Olympic Youth development team and compete in the US Modern Pentathlon Youth National event.
May 19 - Gear West Duathlon in Orono, MN.

No comments: