Sunday, March 3, 2013

I've Got Energy Balls

It is SO not what you think. This blog entry is about nutritional balls of energy. Nothing about having balls of endurance, which is a completely different subject for another day.

Whilst at Podium Boy's recent swim meet, one of the parents introduced me to a home concoction which everyone simply gobbled up, especially the swimmers. When I first looked at them, they sort of reminded me of what my dogs leave in the backyard. So, I was very hesitant to try them at first. I mean, have a look.

We call them "River Stones" after our whippet River

We are naming them "River Stones", after our one-year old whipper River Song. Who it seems, has a secret hoard of these somewhere, judging by her energy levels.




December Whippets from Brian Maas on Vimeo.

It is a very simple recipe. Experiment with other flavors such as cinnamon.

River Rocks

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 cup sweetened coconut flakes

½ cup ground flax

½ cup mini chocolate chips

½ cup creamy peanut butter

1/3 cup honey

1 tsp vanilla

1 TBS chia seeds, optional

1 tsp cinnamon, optional 

Mix the wet ingredients together with a spatula. Stir in dry ingredients and chill for at least an hour. Roll into balls and store in the fridge.
 
Try it out and let me know how it went.

No comments: