Sunday, October 7, 2012

GoPro HD Water Test with the Life Time Minnesota Bears Swim Team

This past Saturday, October 6 2012, I finally had the nerve to try the water-proof case with the GoPro HD Camera. I took it to the pool at the Life Time Fitness complex in Plymouth, MN where Podium Boy and his fellow swimmers train on the Life Time Minnesota Bears Swim Team under the astute tutelage Tom Frank (aka Captain America).

Coach Tom Franke - Captain America to You!

 
Captain America is also U.S. Paralympic Swimming team coach. So, he knows what he is doing.....not that you would be sure of that by seeing photos of himself along with his very famous, and Olympic medaled athletes.


But let's get to the GoPro results. I was able to take enough footage to whittle down to four videos. I was very pleased by the results of the clarity. I had worried that the camera might fog over, or not be quite in focus, etc. Not to worry. It did a great job on a day that was cloudy outside which equated to little light inside.

Note - Podium Boy can be seen throughout in his hot pink trunks and bright neon green cap. One thing I immediately learned when viewing him from under the water.....he over rotates his hips. This camera could be very valuable by being able to identify, and correct, those little things you can't pick up from the surface.

First up, this video was all from the pool deck. I wanted to establish each swim stroke from the surface first:


Life Time Minnesota Bears Swim Team Plymouth Location Video One from Brian Maas on Vimeo.

In the second video, I jumped in and went to work. Little jumpy at first as I figured out how I would approach it. I had some fun by swimming under some people and just got use to trying to take video without seeing anything through a lens. I wish I would have set my camera angle a bit lower, but now I know what to do after seeing the footage.

At about the 6:00 minute mark you will hear Captain America give practice instructions. As the camera is in a water-proof housing, you will need to adjust your volume:


Life Time Minnesota Bears Swim Team Plymouth Location Video Two from Brian Maas on Vimeo.

In the third video, I think the best of the bunch, I travel to the center of the pool for some side angle views:


Life Time Minnesota Swim Team Video Three from Brian Maas on Vimeo.

Fourth video is flip turns on the deep end:


Life Time Minnesota Bears Swim Team Plymouth Location Video Four from Brian Maas on Vimeo.

No comments: