Monday, December 19, 2011

Juuussssst Short

"Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."


Looks like I JUST missed a National Honorable Mention in tri this year for the male 50-54 age group. USAT has its rankings up with all non-qualifiers removed (still not official until Feb). In tri I was 268th out of 2521 (top 10.6%), or just 16 spots away from a HM (top 6-10%). In du I was 47th out of 208 (top 22.5%). Both improvements over 2010.

Now, I still have a chance. However unlikely it may be. To sneak into the top 10% I just have to hope that another 159 people qualify (three USAT events mininimum for tri's) behind me while zero additional people qualify ahead of me. Snowball, meet Hell.

On the positive side this year was a step up over 2010. Especially when you consider that I started the season on the sidelines for 12-weeks while I dealt with a pelvic stress fracture. And the Masters win at the Bismarck Half-Marathon and the overall win at the Red River 15K certainly was icing on the cake.

Still, to have been this close I would have rathered missing by 1000 spots than a mere 16. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Even so, my concentration this coming race season will not be USAT race finishes but just to enjoy the races I sign up for and the friendships developed. Should be a fun year.

No comments: