Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Race Preview: Bronda's Du

Event: Bronda's Du
Date: Sunday, November 14, 2010
Location: Texas Motor Speedway, Ft. Worth, TX
Previous Results: First time at this event for me. 2009 results for the curious. Bike map. Run map.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. But what looks good in early August doesn't always look good in early November. So here I am, flying to Texas, for my last event of the 2010 season. I'm in horrible bike shape. The fading sunlight, the Real Job©, and a Arizona vacation in October all ate into my bike time.

But you don't know unless you try. So off I go to give it my best effort. Sometimes what the body lacks, the spirit makes up for.

This 2 mile run-15 mile bike-2 mile run course is suppose to be flat and fast. It is a closed course. The runs take place inside the speedway (yeah, that's right.....a NASCAR speedway!) and we bike outside & around the speedway. I think this is a very cool concept for a duathlon venue and the reason why I chose this Texas event.

I'll tell you one thing, there is little worry about whether I make the podium or not in the Men's 45-49 age group. Let's take a look at who will probably show and why if I do good, it will really put the cap on what has been a pleasant season for me.

  • David Jones - In 2009, Jones ranked 9th nationally (All American) in the 45-49 AG in tri's and 21st nationally (Honorable Mention) in du's. Currently has a Tri par score of 90.10876 and a Du par score of 91.87823.
  • Robert Reveal - In 2009, Reveal ranked 23rd nationally (Honorable Mention) in du's. Currently has a Du par score of 88.51813.
That's some speed there, folks. And that's just scraping the barrel for Texas. There is a whole mess more that are regional class athletes. It should be a highly competitive age group. I know from my short time there in the late 1980's that you 'Don't Mess with Texas'.

I would like to be able to at least stay in the same zip code of these elites in hopes of dragging my pitiful par score up above maybe a 84? That may be too much to ask for the bike shape I'm in. So what do I think I could do? Here's pure speculation:

Targets for Bronda's Du
 I fly into Dallas on Friday where I will meet up with my former Texas training partner, Tim "Buckwheat" Carroll. Tim and I were able to race together earlier this season in Arkansas and it was a hoot. I've shipped my bike direct to Tim ahead of time, courtesy my buddies at Gear West. So I don't have to deal with that. Tim let me know that the bike did arrive in one piece earlier this week by e-mailing me to ask, "Dude, do you EVER clean your bike?" Hah!

Tim and I plan to enjoy some good ol' Texas BBQ, some honky tonk, and visiting some of the bike shops in town. And check out the course, naturally. We're staying right across the street from the Texas Speedway so we should be just fine with that. Hopefully the weather cooperates with us.

We'll see if I can muster up the blood and guts for one more good showing in 2010. After this, I'm resting. My lower back hurts. My Achilles have been acting up a bit. I've been telling people I feel like a NFL running back in the last few weeks of the season. It all hurts, but there is just one more game to play. And I intend to play it well, not sitting on the bench. But I have a feeling that my ass will be handed to me on a Texas sized silver platter. Minnesota goes solo against the state of Texas. Should be quite a shoot out.

1 comment:

Christopher Hawes said...

Good luck. Sounds like a really interesting venue. It would cool to do a race on a completely closed course. Enjoy the weather and the food while you are there. Very interested to hear your results