Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Race Preview: Plymouth Firefighters 5K

Event: Plymouth Firefighters 5K Run & Walk
Date: Saturday, September 25
Location: Plymouth, MN
Previous Results: 2008 (5th overall, 19:37), 2009 (3rd overall, 19:31)

This coming Saturday I will once again jump into the Plymouth Firefighters' 5K Run/Walk which is held annually in our fair city. The Well Kept Wife™ works for the city of Plymouth as the Volunteer Coordinator so let's say I am motivated to participate. Actually, it is a great fundraiser as proceeds from the event benefit the Plymouth Firefighters Relief Association. Can't go wrong there.

Plus one gets to witness firefighters from Plymouth and Maple Grove battling for bragging rights as many of the firefighters run in full firefighter gear. Truly amazing.

I've done alright the last two years, except last year I lost out to an, ahem, eighth grader. But no matter. No harm to losing to a budding XC star!

Psssst. Who's the silly old guy!?!?
Its a nice course, with lots of twists and turns and a few little grade changes from where you can separate yourself and make a move. Last year, we were so far ahead that we were actually doubling back on the rest of the field before they even got to mile one.

Plymouth 5K course
My goal this year is rather simple. No, it's not to make sure no middle school person beats me! It's to go under 19-minutes. My PR for a 5K is 16:30 (5:18 pace). But that was waaaaaayyyy back in 1989 and I'll never see that time again. So sub-19 would be a nice achievement some twenty years later. To do so, I will need to average 6:06 per mile. This will be the first of two such chances. If not here, then on October 23 in Phoenix. We'll see what happens!

1 comment:

Mario said...

You're going to kill it!