Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crazy? First Half Of Season Possible Schedule


I'm toying with doing seven races over eight weeks for the front half of the upcoming 2010 triathlon season. I'm just not sure yet as I didn't want to do as many races as last year.....yet, this is so tempting.

I know what some of you will say: Enter but treat some of the races as speed training or a B/C event. Well, that's all fine and good. I will admit I have mellowed like fine wine as I now approach my 49th year. However, once the gun goes off my Type-A competitive nature takes over and I leave my guts out there on the course for everyone to salute. So, there are no 'easy' races for me.

Event 1 - May 15 (signed up) - Lakes to Pines Triathlon - 500 yd swim - 14.7 mi bike - 5K run
Event 2 - May 22 (signed up) - Fargo Half Marathon

One week break

Event 3 - June 5 - Grand Forks (Dewey Kvidt Memorial) Duathlon - 3 mi run-15mi bike-3 mi run
Event 4 - June 12 - Liberty Triathlon (USAT) - Oly Tri
Event 5 - June 20 - Bismarck Tri - 500m Swim, 20k Bike, 5k Run
Event 6 - Jun 26 (signed up) - XTERRA Pipestem Creek Off Road Triathlon - Swim 1000 meters, Mountain Bike 13 mi, Trail Run 5 mi
Event 7 - July 3 - MinneMan Sprint Triathlon (USAT) - 0.3 Mile Swim, 13 Mile Bike, 3 Mile Run

So what do y'all think? Go for it and see what happens? Are seven events too much to tackle over a eight week period?

The plus side is I would get in two of the three required USAT sanctioned tri's to qualify for national ranking in 2010. Risks include injury. I'm especially worried about how I will come out of the Fargo Half Marathon. That is the one event where I could 'shut 'er down', especially if I am not on 1 hour 30 minute pace at the 10-mile mark.

So, all you tri-geeks: Yea or Nay?

3 comments:

Christopher Hawes said...

Might as well do it, if you have the time and you feel trained up for it. Like you mentioned, the only real thing to worry about is injury. Just need to listen to your body. Good luck

Adam Beston said...

I would skip event three if your half goes well (or bad I guess, but I am more sore after a good one) and recover a bit. Good race season!

Steven Aesoph said...

I'm contemplating a similar schedule. I'm leaning toward not doing it though. That's a lot of time and money. The only way I would say "go for it" is if you could incorporate your family into the travel.